Windscreen washer malfunction

The windscreen washers on my Peugeot 205 are not working. There is plenty of water in the reservoirs. Any ideas, please, on what to look at first?

Reply to
Paul

Is the motor making a noise when you pull the switch on the dashboard?

If the motor isn't, check the fuse and the wiring to the motor. Use a multimeter to check current is arriving at the motor.

If current is arriving at the motor and it doesn't operate, the motor is duff.

If the motor operates and no water comes out, check the piping.

You could try and suck some water through the pipework to see if there is a split in it somewhere.

Reply to
Ben Cowell

Hi,

eeeek. Although it's a bit better than coolant.

Eh, you forgot one case, which happened to me : may well be a disconnected / dirty pump feed connection. Last time it happened to me, it was on the motorway, had to do 300km with no washer. And of course, I was just killing dozens of mosquitos across the windscreen.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

On Sat, 22 May 2004 07:53:08 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named "Ben Cowell" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

After all that, are the jets blocked? If they're anything like the

306, they are surprisingly cheap (less than a couple of quid IIRC). You could try to unblock them with a pin or a needle.
Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Hi,

And if changing jets, consider a pair of 309 jets. Straight swap on a 205, but they have 2 jets instead of one, my brother's done it on his DTurbo, he said me it was a bit better.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Yep, I changed them over too (they are the ones off the 106 with 2 jets)

One thing to look for is that the pipe gets pinched when you close the bonnet if one of the clips has broken off stopping the water getting past.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

If the motor operates and the piping is fine and you don't have blocked jets you may have a broken pump. The blades fell off the impeller on mine.

Reply to
Phil Cook

I had repeated blocked jets (on a 406) and I finally put in an in-line filter. Now I only have to clean this once in a while.

Reply to
ken kerrison