'02 Grand Am headlight bulb replacement

Purchased 2 #9007 headlight bulbs for my '02 Grand Am, but I can't figure out how to replace them.

On other vehicles, I have been able to reach in behind the headlamp assembly and pop out the old bulb and replace. My Grand Am has all kinds of metal and plastic behind the lamp assembly and there is no way to get your hand in there to replace the bulb. I removed the large black plastic trim piece that runs the width of the front of the car above the headlights, but still can't figure out how to remove the headlamp assembly to get to the bulb behind the assembly.

Can anybody point me to a service manual page that would show how to do this?

Thanks,

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Consult your owners manual. Also, check to see if there is something that pulls up that will release the headlights like my malibu

Reply to
ADAM KRACKENBERGER

If it's like a 99 GA, there are two metal clips that are pulled up to release the whole assembly. The owners manual gives a poor description. I have had to use pliers to get the clips loosened. You need to pull them up and towards the windshield. Good luck.

Reply to
Keyser Soze

My wife called the dealer today. They said the "whole front end" (whatever that means) has to come off to get to the headlight bulbs. Said it would take about 1/2 hour.

Geese!

Tom

Reply to
mabar

The whole front off to replace a headlight?? LOL ain t progress grand!

Reply to
BarracudaDesigns

Obviously that's BS. If the whole front end came off it would be a lot more than a 1/2 hr. A 1/2 hr is the minimum charge to do anything at most shops. They would rather you pay them than explain it to you. Look for clips as suggested. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Howard Delano emailed me personally with a link to the owner's manual page that shows how to do it.

Duh! I never thought to look in the manual.

Thanks Howard!

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Also beware: sometimes you might luck out and the metal pull tabs are easy to loosen up. On my '02 Grand Am, vibration and temperature expansion caused the driver's side metal clips to be in there *really* tightly, and it too a good pair of vicegrips, the parking brake set, and enough upward pulling force to rock the entire car back and forth several times before that clip would release. Imagine my surprise when, ready to wrestle with it again on the passenger's side, that clip sprang free with me barely touching it.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard