05 G6

Have a 2005 G5 that we bought in December. While out driving today, ON THE INTERSTATE, the power stearing went out. The power stearing message popped up on the radio too. Pulled over, shut the engine off and restarted and everything was fine. Got of the interstate and as I'm coming down the off ramp, it does it again. Did it the whole way back home too. Anyone else have this happen? Obviously it's under warranty and it will be going to Pontiac Monday morning, but I'm wondering if it's a known problem?

Reply to
johndoe

Yes, we've replaced numerous steering columns in the Malibu vehicles with the electric steering (same basic vehicle). There is a sensor in there that goes belly up, but of course....you have to replace the entire column. It's a new system, I'm sure that they will get the bugs worked out eventually.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

That is right. I dropped it off at Pontiac this morning and they said the entire column has to be replaced. Going to take a few days. Ironically, they gave me a Malibu loaner car.

Reply to
johndoe

Just think of what sort of freak accidents will happen when steering is a totally drive by wire system! class action lawsuits here we go!

Reply to
Paradox

No kidding. They actually just called me and said it's going to be at least another seven biz days. They aren't sure what's wrong with it now and they are waiting on someone from GM???? What does Pontiac have to do, fly in a GM engineer or something??? Great news

Reply to
johndoe

Oh...Lawd ....have Mercy!

Reply to
Lil Rascal

Do they have electric-powered power steering or something strange like that? I remember reading that had come out on some car, but I don't recall which.

Reply to
Joe

Did you take it to a Pontiac only dealership? they've probably never seen a new Malibu in their life and don't know about the steering column recall.

Reply to
Paradox

It's a Pontiac/Buick/Isuzu dealer. You are correct, they knew nothing about the steering column problem - I HAD TO TELL THEM!

Reply to
johndoe

Out of the blue, Pontiac called me and said the car was done! Just picked up it up. They replaced the entre steering column assembly as well as something to do with the adjustable peddles??? Service advisor did say that GM will be issuing a recall - as far as he knows. That is why they had to report the problem to GM and have a case # issued. Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come...

Reply to
johndoe

Time to trade it in on an Izuzu.

Reply to