1955 Pontiac Star Chief

Washington Post - March 4, 2001

..the 1955 Pontiacs were a classic example of the changes that made the 1950s a golden decade for U.S. automakers. Imports were still largely on the horizon and Detroit was in full control. General Motors, Ford and Chrysler all hit the market with stunning new designs and Plymouth and Chevrolet both were given V-8 engines to match Ford at the entry-level market. U.S. auto production jumped 44 percent to a record

7.9 million units, 581,860 of them Pontiacs. Engine power packs and dual exhausts were as common as two-tone paint. The Star Chief
was the only convertible Pontiac offered in 1955. The new V-8 engine and new body styling helped transform Pontiac's image from a sedate family car to a road warrior. Optional accessories ranged from power windows and air conditioning to fender skirts and "Continental" kits for the spare tire.
  • Price ,691
  • Engine 287.2-cubic-inch V-8
  • Horsepower 173 at 4,400 rpm
  • Wheelbase 124 inches
  • Overall length 210.2 inches
  • Seating capacity 6 ========== Year 1955

  • President Dwight D. Eisenhower

  • Median family income ,421
  • Dow Jones industrial average (year-end) 488.39
  • McDonald's opens first restaurant ========== Pontiacs of the 1950s:
PSC

1955 Pontiac Star Chief info spec sheet:
PSC

Speaking of 1955, which weighs more: An el cheapo 1955 2 door Ford sedan or the present VW Bug?

Reply to
Stude

The 1955 Ford two door sedan Mainline (el cheapo) has a curb weight of

3,119lbs. Cost new was $1707 The 2007 Beetle two door coupe (el cheapo w/ manual tran) weighs 2884lbs. It's not very cheap, though at $22,780. The automatic tran coupe weighs 2966lbs The new VW convertable weighs 3259 lbs w/ autmatic trans, 3164 w/ manual
Reply to
Otto Skorzeny

Reply to
Stude

The article I read had the VW as being heavier than what you gave, about 20 pounds different than the Ford. I guess it depends on whcih models you use. The aricle was showing that he new cars didn't gain fuel efficiency just by weight loss.

Reply to
Stude

This is news? They've gained efficiency by using electronic ignition systems, computerized ignition systems, and computerized fuel injection systems. Of course, most manufacturers have used these to produce more power instead of better fuel economy (can you say "zoom, zoom"? I knew you could.)

George Patterson If you torture the data long enough, eventually it will confess to anything.

Reply to
George Patterson

As far as the weight specs for VW models, there are about 10 or more for each car (conv, coupe). Depending on the trim level, transmission, options, etc. the weight varies from what I assume to be the stripped base coupe up to the loaded automatic convertible.

Reply to
Otto Skorzeny