1967 GTO: Help Replacing Camshaft

Hi

My brother is replacing the camshaft in his GTO. He removed the radiator thinking that would give him enough clearance to pull out the old cam but it turns out he also needs to remove the air conditioner condenser and apparently he isn't sure how to. I'm not there so I'm not sure what the exact problem is but I thought maybe someone here has an idea and could give some advice. Thanks.

Reply to
Cobra

Not a problem just loosen or take out condensor retaining bolts, you should be able to snake out the cams. without breaking open freon system...................

Reply to
BushmanBro

Apparently he was looking at it and didn't think that would work but according to you and someone else it should so he is going to do it tonight. He said thanks for the input.

Reply to
Cobra

Nope, sorry. It can't be done. Have your brother leave the car and title by the curb, and I'll haul it away for free. Really, it's the best thing. Really. Do it now so you don't forget...

Reply to
Joseph Roche

Reply to
Cobra

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

My brother left me a message this morning and he managed to get the condenser out of the way enough to get the camshaft out so all is well. I mentioned to him before he might have to raise the engine but he was trying to avoid it because he wasn't sure if unbolting just the motor mounts would be enough.

He has a 65 and a 67 but the 67 is extremely clean with all matching numbers. Everything is origninal including minor things like a power antenna, power trunk release and a reverb for the radio (boy do they sound bad, ha). That engine (400ci) is out being reworked, including a stroker kit (465ci). The engine in the 67 now is a 455 with tri-power but once the 400 is finished, it will go back in the 67 and the 455 will go into the 65 for my nephew to use when he returns from Iraq.

I've always liked GTO's and Firebirds but never owned either... so I hope this doesn't mean I'm going to die for posting to this group. Oh, wait a minute, I have a Sunfire... hold off on the booing please.

I do however have a Superformance replica of a 65 Cobra 427SC with a

460 and some other extras including nitrous. It's fun to jag my brother so I tell him it's a GTO killer, ha.

Thanks to everyone for your replies, even the funny ones.

Reply to
Cobra