1968 bonn convert

Does anyone know a good place to get parts for older pontiacs? I am looking for rear quarters, trunk parts, other sheet metal. I have tried Whitneys, Hemmings, junk yards, but I can't seem to find anything. I have a 1968 Bonneville Convertible. I can locate parts for a hard top, but not the convertible.

Reply to
joe mauma

My friend in high school had a dark green & tan 68 ragtop - what a car ! I never got a ride in it though - we parted as friends during Sr year.

You've seemed to have covered all the bases so far in your search. These cars were low production cars when new making it more difficult to find parts almost 40 years later.

On several trips this summer I did notice lot of old 50's - 70s auto's sitting on peoples property with 4 foot high weeds grown up around them. I can't understand the logic of letting all those cars just sit there. When you could sell them whole or for parts.

In Chicago you got to have a current licesne plate registration & city sticker for non - running cars sitting on your property. If not you don't want to comply you will have to get rid of it.

In Minnesota last week I saw a lite green 68 Caprice Estate Wagon ( woodie ) that looked absolutely amazing & all body trim intact, it surrounded on two sides by high weeds parked next to the garage.

Good Luck

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 26,122 91 Bonneville LE 303,568
Reply to
Harry Face

There is a house about 2 minuites from mine where there has sat a 1969 Dodge Charger for the past (at least) 11 or so years. The car just sits there, partly covered with a tarp, never touched. You can tell by the look of it that it is in ok shape, but needs some work, but it never moves and the tarp never comes off. I know a couple of people who (being huge 'Dukes of Hazzard' or Mopar fans) went up with cash in hand offering even more then it would be worth, but the owner would not sell it. Perhaps some people would rather be able to say they have the car rather then giving someone the chance to pride themselves on restoring it.

Reply to
80 Knight

Reply to
Bryan Lee

You can join the Pontiac Oakland Cub International (POCI). There news letter is full of parts and vendors for Ponitacs. I don't have their web site, but a google search will turn it up.

POCI is a good organization to belong to, there are model specific experts and sub-organizations for specific models as well as local chapters.

Also, did you try looking through Old Cars Weekly and Cars & Parts?

Keep us posted.

Reply to
brxsep

The problem with convertable quarter panels is that way fewer cars came out of the factory as rag tops. Most restorers buy the hard top quarters and cut and fit into place. I wish you luck in your search.

Some interior sheet metal will be the same as other cars that have the same frame as your Bonneville. Generally trunk parts, inner/outer wheel houses, floor pans, etc. You get the idea. Make sure of the replacement parts before buying though.

Another avenue to chase down would be the automotive yards out west in arrid country where sheet metal doesn't rot like over here in N.Y. I've had sections shipped to me and I know that others have driven out west and have brought back chassis' to get their sheet metal parts for their cars.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to