1969 Pontiac Interior Restoration: Any Asbestos?

Hi.

I have a 1969 Pontiac LeMans convertible that needs some work, especially the interior. When removing the back bench seat, I see that the inside is stuffed with some kind of material that looks like loose attic insulation. It is very soft and fluffy, and the color is a cross between gray, white and tan, but looks like it was probably white when new. Feels like a wad of cotton. It seems to be the original factory material.

Any chance that this could contain asbestos? I tried to burn a handful of this stuff, and the outer layer flamed briefly, but it would not catch fire. Does anyone know what GM was stuffing their seats with back in '69? Could there be asbestos anywhere else in the car's interior? I definitely want to find out before I begin restoration. I called Pontiac's vintage division and the guy told me that he was not aware of any asbestos in the interior, but he didn't sound very sure.

Thanks for your help.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

I doubt there is any asbestos. They were using burlap and cotton between the seat frame and vinyl/cloth cover.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

I wasn't working at GM, but I don't see where the properties of asbestos would have been helpful to upholstery. Not at all. There is asbestos in your exhaust gaskets, for instance, as well as the brakes and clutch linings. They could have used it for floorboard insulation, but I don't think they ever did.

Reply to
Joe

Thanks for your input, guys!

Robert