1974 Pontiac 400 Engine

My dad owns a 1974 Pontiac Grand Prix with a 400 engine. The vehicle has been sitting forever, he hasn't started it in a long time. The question I have is, what do I have to do to start it up? Besides putting in a new battery, changing oil, antifreeze, tires, etc. Do I have to remove the spark plugs and squirt some oil into the cylinder to prevent cylinder wall damage etc? The car has been parked for years now. My dad had no use for it so it has just been sitting in the garage, rotting away. I am now trying to revive it. The car has 21000 original miles on it and it would be a nice car to put in car shows in the original class but I have to get it started first. Thanks for any help. Please reply here or to my email. Thanks once again.

Reply to
Ruben Flores

Joe did truly imply:

We use to have an old distributor shaft that could be 'chucked' into a drill, then inserted into the block and prime the oil pumpp before starting an engine. This was for a small-block Chevy, dont know if it works on Pontiacs or not.

Rebuttals?

Reply to
William

The concept works on Pontiacs, of course. Can't say if THAT tool fits. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Nope. Chebbie uses a different style setup(sh*ttier, of course) for the oil pump drive shaft.

Chebbie uses a slot which makes it an absolute b*tch to install the distributor without the oil pump shaft positioned exactly.

Pontiac uses a nice V-shape which basically allows you to install the distributor in a couple seconds ...

Reply to
Dennis Smith

Reply to
Woodsman