1986 Grand Prix heater core?

I have an '86 Grand Prix and I've recently had to start using the heater again. When I turn on the heater, steam comes out of all vents and it smells badly like anti-freeze. Is my heater core gone? How hard/long of a job is it to change out? Should it only be done with new replacement parts. or is a salvage yard a good place to look for one?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Duane

Reply to
69Rocketman

More than likely the heater core is indeed history. Don't bother with a junkyard part as it will not be in any better shape, and for the price it's not worth the effort. If you don't already have a service manual your local library prbably does. It's not really that hard of a job.

Good luck.

Reply to
FBR

Thanks for the pointers. I priced a new core after posting this and it was "only" $53 Canadian so a wrecking yard part was out of the question as you said. All is now fixed, and now there is no steam blowing into the passenger compartment. I had the Haynes manual and surprising enough, it was actually quite helpful for this job. Thanks for the reply FBR.

Duane

Reply to
69Rocketman

Have to disagree here. I had to replace the heater core in my old '91 Grand Prix, so I went to the junk yard and found one in a Chevy Lumina that was brand new. You would be amazed at what you can find at a junk yard, if you have the time to look. I only paid $15 for it too.

80K
Reply to
80 Knight