1986 Pontiac Grand Prix problem

Alright, it's me again. I have found some help in here on this car that I just purchased a couple of weeks ago, and I now have it Emission tested, and safetied, and I am legally driving it now. Or, well I was I guess until today on my way home from work. I started it up and took off a little bit quicker than I have usually been the last couple of weeks (It is quite cold where I am, London Ontario Canada) It has seemed to need about ten minutes of idle time before taking off, or even shifting it into any gear. If you try to take off too soon, it would stall most times I have tried it in the past. today though it seemed fine when I put it into reverse to back out of my parking spot, so on I went. I drove for about probably 7 or 8 kilometers and it ran fine. I then pulled into a gas station, turned the ignition off, filled up, (it was pretty empty), then tried to start it up and got nothing. I mean, it turned over and sounded like it was going to start, but just wouldn't. I didn't have time to fiddle with it right then, so I had to call the wife to come pick me up. While waiting for her I tried to start it a few more times with no luck. I am not sure if it is fuel or spark or what, but it is trying to start, but just won't. The only thing I can think of that was different today than any other day, is that it was lower on fuel today than I have let it go in the past, but in defense to that, it ran fine all the way to the gas station. Also the fact that I took off right after starting it up, but again it seemed to run fine the whole drive. Does anyone have any knowledge on this car? It has a 305 V8 in it, with the

4 barrel carb. It is automatic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Duane

Reply to
69Rocketman

yes i have lots of knowledge of the car as i own one myself,

first things first, you need to determine if it is a fuel or spark problem and post the your results, anything i guess right now could be just a fart in the wind

one thing that comes to mind and happeded to me, the ignition modulator can go out at anytime just like it may have by you, i went into the grocery store and came back out to start the car and it would turn over but not start....

Reply to
WHO??

Hey Duane live in Windsor so don,t give us that cold weather bs. Your Gran Pris was a reliable car in its day take it in have fuel pump pressure checked also your distributor module and cap and roter . There,s not much to go wrong with those cars.

Jim.J

Reply to
Jim.J

Well, it's not like I'm tryin' to come off as an Eskimo or anything like that...

Thanks for the pointers Jim, and yours too WHO??

It seems the car has some ghosts or something. That night that it would not start back up for me after fueling it up, I could not do anything with it because I had to have the wife come and get me and she had to go to school and write a test, so we had to go back home (about 20Km) to drop off me and our daughter, so my wife could then proceed to school. So, the next morning we got up earlier than usual, and went to the car, and of course it started right up as if nothing had happened. So daughter and I get in it and head off to work/school, and wife heads to her work in her car. Car has run fine since. Only thing I have noticed was that morning, my daughter pointed out that the interior light was on. It was just dim, but it was on. Also the passenger's side foot well was lit up too. I try the headlight/interior light switch, and it is in the off position. ??? So I turn it to the on position, and the footwell gets brighter, but the dome/ceiling light goes out. hmmmm ......... ????????

turns out it is a bad fuse (20 Amp Dome fuse) So I replace it, and the light problem is fixed. ...... Until tonight on my way home from work. I turned the headlights on (I am not sure yet if they were actually on or not, was just a bit gloomy out, not dark yet) After about four or five minutes, my daughter said the light was on again. Sure enough, it was lit dimly again. So it looks like I have a wiring/switch problem or something.

Any ideas where to begin looking?

I'll check back soon.

Duane

Reply to