1986 Pontiac problem with popping in front

I have a Pontiac 6000, when I either apply the brakes suddenly or take off quick, I hear a couple pops coming from the right front end of the car, everything on that side is new except the strut and tie rod ends. Can anyone help me with this problem

Reply to
abomb6900

I have an 86 6000LE ... unfortunately, I can't drive it any more.

Could be the tie rod or CV boot.

Reply to
REP

So what happened to it? Wreck it?

CV Shaft is new checked it yesterday, still looks like the day I put it in a month ago, How can I tell if a tie rod end is faulty? I know on my 83 f150 it fell off and the wheel went sideways

Reply to
abomb6900

Wrecking it can't kill the Iron Deuce. No, it has a blown head gasket, needs a new heater core, new radiator, motor mounts, and needs broken bolts cleaned out of the cylinder head. It still runs ... it's just not a really good idea. I put 100,000 on it (it had 86K on it when I got it

10 years ago) and part of me really wants to put the $1,500 or so into it, but the part that writes the checks realizes that that would be foolish. I'm getting a '97 Grand Am instead.

The CV boot in mine made a 'clicking' noise when it had a leak; when the tie rod was about to go, it made a banging noise that went away when I drove fast. I ended up having another rack installed (10 years ago).

Listen, if you're in the SF Bay Area, I know where you can get a great parts car cheap....

Reply to
REP

If it was me I'd rather have the Iron Deuce, I've never had any luck with newer stuff, it always seems to fall apart. See this is the second or third Iron Deuce I've owned and it seems like they keep going and going no matter what the odometer says. I bought my 6000 about 4 months ago and I've already put 6,500 miles on it!

Reply to
abomb6900

You guy's mean the "Iron Duke", right??

Regards, Al.

Reply to
Al Haunts

I have heard it called either name.

Reply to
abomb6900

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Same here. One mechanic says Iron Duke; another says Iron Deuce. About mine- it's now the RIP.

Reply to
REP

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Alas, that's water under the bridge for me now. My ID (how's *that*!) is defunct.

Buffalo Bill's defunct he rode a watersmooth-silver stallion and could break onetwothreefour pigeonsjustlikethat jesus

he was a handsome man and what i want to know is how do you like your blueeyed boy mr death

Reply to
REP