1988 firebird formula, backfiring problem

My dad just bought an Firebird and it keeps backfiring. He keeps ajusting the timing by moving the distributer cap, but it isn't getting any better. It backfires really bad when you hold the accelerater down. It sounds like making popcorn almost when holding the accelerater down. My dad want's some ideas on what to do to get it to stop backfiring. The distributer cap is new, it has new wires, the spark plugs aren't new, but they do look good. So if anyone has any idea on what is wrong please help, thanks.

Reply to
ss17goku

Camshaft could be worn out?

Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

When you say 'backfiring', does that imply explosions in the exhaust or the intake? Is the sound rhythmic or random?

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

I see flames and sparks from the exhaust, and it is random.

Reply to
ss17goku

Hmm...

Engine cold or warm?

Is the exhaust clear or smoke? What color smoke? (when not on fire)

Did it ever run right? Did the previous owner try to work on it? Have you checked the firing order? Do you own a timing light?

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

ok, I checked at autozone.com and found the spark plugs were in the wrong order so we fixed that and then adjusted the timing then. Now it is running and working fine, so thanks for the help.