1990 bonneville LE hesitation after warm

Can anyone help me!! If I run my car say 10 miles then shut it off and it sits like 20mins or less. start it back up and try to go it like wants to die I give it gas it goes, but has hesitation. I like punch it to the floor and it finally picks up and goes, but if I come to a stop it does it again. I dont have the tool to see if any codes come up

Reply to
cali

It might be a dirty IAC / throttle body.

Harryface =D8=BF=D8

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 300,734 miles
Reply to
Harry Face

"Harry Face" wrote: > It might be a dirty IAC / throttle body. > > > Harryface ?Ø > 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE > 300,734 miles

Would that cause it to rev? It seems to rev high, even after it has been ran then it kicks down and then i have this problem with the hesitation.

Reply to
cali

Clean the throttle body and MAF and IAC first, like is suposed to be done every few years, THEN try to internet-guess what is wrong with a 15 year old car that probably needs:

  1. Fuel filter
  2. Plugs
  3. Plug wires
  4. FI service, major (upper intake and injectors)

After that a scan tool can read what the O2 sensor is thinking, what the the coolant sensor is thinking, what the Block Learn Multiplier and Integrator readings are.....

Not trying to freak you out.....but there are a MILLION possiblities on a car that old. (yes OLD.....did you drive a 1960 car in 1975?) GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

"cali" wrote: > Would that cause it to rev? It seems to rev high, even after > it has been ran then it kicks down and then i have this > problem with the hesitation.

fuel filter comes to mind. I?d change it if its been a while. could be IAC. I was wondering if the coolant temperature sensor is faulty, thats why it revs high even when its warm. A faulty sensor tells the ECM to inject more fuel into the cylinders. Just a couple of thoughts.

Reply to
bonne

GW, Maybe the guy wasn't here in 1960! LOL

Yes Gw we had our 60 Electra 225 in 1975

Harryface =D8=BF=D8

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 300,734 miles
Reply to
Harry Face

"Harry Face" wrote: > GW, > Maybe the guy wasn't here in 1960! LOL > > Yes Gw we had our 60 Electra 225 in 1975 > > Harryface ?Ø > 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE > 300,734 miles

I just changed the plugs, wires and fuel filter recently. I?m going to try a few things you guys have sugested. Yes I know it?s a (old car), but after my son totaled my other car by rolling in a creek in the winter :( and someone hads a car that ran great for cheap you buy it. In 3 yrs this is the only problem I have had with it. So the the few hundred spent to buy it. was spent well (depite the age).

Reply to
cali

On the '90 you can read error codes yourself just using the SES light. Google for instructions. It's easy. I've done it several times using a paper clip.

cali wrote:

Reply to
Robert Barr