1990 Pontiac Tempest Speedometer & Odometer

1990 Pontiac Tempest, 3.1 V6

The speedometer is this vehicle is reading much higher than the vehicle is actually travelling, say if I'm driving 45mph the speedometer actually reads 80mph. At 70 mph the speedometer is reading 120 mph. Also, the odometer is adding more miles to the vehicle than what's actually driven. For example, if I drive 2/10 of a mile, the odometer has acutally added 3/10's.

Looking for ideas on what the problem may be, thanks!

Reply to
vabass

Does it have the original wheels & tire size?

Reply to
Micah

you have a car set for KPH with a MPH gauge? seems like that is the problem. are you sure the gauge reads MPH not KPH?

Reply to
Les Benn

Thank you all, for giving me a wake up call......I feel so stupid. This car is from Canada and the intrument cluster shows KPH in large numbers rather than MPH as it would be for a vehicle built for the U.S. (The MPH are shown in small numbers in a similar location where kph would be on a car built in the U.S.) I still think the speedometer is a little off (haven't getten a calibration yet just going off of other vehicles and radar machines setup along the road), so what would you think should be the first item to attack. Also, as you can imagine it has finally dawned on me that the odometer is recording kilometers and not miles!

Thank you all for your help.

Reply to
vab