1990 Pontiac Transport se fuel pump problem

My car won't start! Here's what is going on: I suspected that the fuel pump went bad, I changed it out. Still, it won't start. I suspected that maybe the fuses were blown. I changed out the fuses. Still it won't start. I suspected that maybe some wire were damaged or corroded. I checked and fixed any possible problems, still it won't start. I thought maybe I crossed the wires to the fuel pump, still it won't start. I charged the battery, changed the spark plugs and wires and still nothing. I'm going bonkers here, No gas is pushing through the fuel line and I don't know why. The fuel pump works, I tried it out alone connected to the battery and it worked. What can it be? Please help.

Reply to
Icyfx

Did you check the fuel filter?

Reply to
FBR

I changed the fuel filter the same day I bought the pump. I'm telling you, this problem is driving me to the edge of madness.

Reply to
Icyfx

How do you test a fuel pump to see if it really works? I attached it to the battery and it jumps around but does nothing when I connect it to the gas tank. Maybe crossed wires? Which goes where? I have the black wire connected to " A" and the grey wire connected to " B." Is this wrong? I tried both ways and I can't really be sure if it's working, it just sits there.

Reply to
Icyfx

Connect a test light to the pump perminals and see if you are getting power. If not, trace the circuit back. Could be a bad relay, or a bad fusible link, or a bad CPU???

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

I would check the fuel pump relay first. It is behind the right(passenger's side) Headlight. There are 3 relays there. It is the farthest one on the right. The system also uses an oil pressure switch to control power to the fuel pump. Use a testlight to check for power at the pump the second the key is turned on. You will have to have someone help you because if you turn on the key and then get underneath to check for power, it will have cycled off by then. It will only power the pump for seconds before it turns it off if the engine is not running by then. I have seen bad connections on the oil pressure switch cause trouble too. Also, where are you checking for gas flowing through the line?

1st. I'd like to thank you guys for helping me out. I've been to alot of other web sites and never got a response. I checked the wire connection under the car, sure enough, a wire was completely chopped off. I reconnected the wire but still no fire. I am now going to check the relays as prescribed ( right side behind the light) and see what's going on with them. I then will check the other stuff like oil pump and so on. I'll let you know what happens tommorrow. Thanks fot the help.
Reply to
Icyfx

OH, by the way, I am checking for the flow of gas from the fuel filter. It's dry as a bone. Thnx.

Reply to
Icyfx

Oct. 30.

I found the problem, 2 bad relay switches. Thanks for the help. Icyfx

Reply to
Icyfx