1990 Sunbird Dash Lights

Hi All,

I have a 1990 Pontiac Sunbird SE and I found that it's impossible to take out the dash panel in order to reach behind to change the lights. Am I just stupid or is there an easier way to replace these lights. I want to get them changed cuz driving at night with only the tachomenter lit up is kind of stressful. Thank you.

Reply to
KrazyLoCo

You got to unhook the speedometer cable from behind the cluster. There is a spring clip that you push in toward the cluster and the steel end of the cable tubing should pop out.

If you've got all the screws out that are holding the gauge cluster in its the cable that is probably holding it in. You can only move the cluster out about two inches, if that, when the speedometer cable attatched.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~279, 000 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

Reply to
Harry Face

Hi,

Thank you for the response. I almost get the panel off, but the screw on the right side of the panel is impossible to get at without ripping the WHOLE dash off. The dash is all glued on (stock) by the way. So I can't really do that. I can get the left screw out and the left side of the panel moves... but it's that right screw that's screwing me up!

Reply to
KrazyLoCo

What is blocking access to the problem screw on the right side?

Is the padded Instrument Panel blocking the screw?. I can't picture what the dash looks like on your car. Did you remove the lower trim panel underneath the steering column? Some times that has to come off to gain access to more hidden screws.

I don't think any part of the dashboard is glued together. My 89 Cav Z -

24 cluster had about 4 screws holding it in. The two side panels on my Z were held in by 3 oval shaped spring clips. All you had to do was pry a bit till you got two fingers behind the panel then pull straight out.

Can you post any photo's of your dash?

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~279, 000 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

Reply to
Harry Face

Hi,

Thank you very much for your time in trying to help me. The interior of Sunbirds are a little different than Cavs... here are some pictures of a Sunbird dash. It's not my exact car because my digital camera is crappy. But it's the exact same thing.

The right wiper thing gets in the way!

Reply to
KrazyLoCo

The photo's you posted came through in a text format and I was not able to view them.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~279, 000 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

Reply to
Harry Face

Ok...

They are in .txt file extension but you can still view them. Unless you're not using Internet Explorer??? Can you give me your e-mail address so I can send them there?

Reply to
KrazyLoCo

I'm not on a computer, its webtv.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~279, 000 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

Reply to
Harry Face

Okay then... try this page >>>

If you can't view that then I don't know what to say...

Reply to
KrazyLoCo

I was able to view the photo's but those are not 1990 dash pics. Those look like 95 & newer with some Ricco Suavey' aftermarket kits added. 90 & 95 are two different dash styles altogether.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~279, 354 miles_~_~_

Reply to
Harry Face