1993 Grand Am TCC Question

How difficult is it to replace the TCC solenoid on a 93 GA? It is the

2.3L OHV engine and I believe the TH125 (3T30?)transmission. From reading past posts on this group some people say its not the bad of a job and can be done on the driveway. Others say its pretty difficult. Someone told me I have to remove the wheel on the driver's side, mess with an axle, engine mounts, etc. and it would take several hours in the shop. I am aware of the "pull the plug" workaround but I do some high speed 75 MPH+ driving and would like to fix it the right way. Any thoughts?
Reply to
Foster

Did my daughter's '92 solenoid in the back yard. You will need some patience and a "can-do" attitude. The biggest hurdle of my attack was finally admitting to myself that the left suspension support needed to be unbolted and moved aside to allow the transmission valve body cover to come out. Not that bad though. Only 4 bolts hold it on. Take precautions to keep dirt and debris out of the exposed valve body once the cover is off. Give that area of the transmission a good cleaning before proceeding.

You can do this.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

It's pretty easy. I did the one in my G/A two years ago in my driveway. Also changed the filter at the same time. Took three hours for everything.

Reply to
« Paul =?is

"user" wrote: > Foster wrote: > > > > How difficult is it to replace the TCC solenoid on a 93 GA? > It is the > > 2.3L OHV engine and I believe the TH125 (3T30?)transmission. > From > > reading past posts on this group some people say its not the > bad of a > > job and can be done on the driveway. Others say its pretty > difficult. > > Someone told me I have to remove the wheel on the driver's > side, mess > > with an axle, engine mounts, etc. and it would take several > hours in > > the shop. I am aware of the "pull the plug" workaround but > I do some > > high speed 75 MPH+ driving and would like to fix it the > right way. Any > > thoughts? > > It's pretty easy. I did the one in my G/A two years ago in > my driveway. Also changed the filter at the same time. > Took three hours for everything.

I am trying to replace my TCC solenoid right now. I have about 3 or 4 bolts left on the tranny cover and don?t know how to get to them. They are the ones located on the back side of the engine. I?ve been reading that you have to get the engine support out of the way, but how do you do that?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Reply to
markatolla

Support the left side of the engine with a floor jack, unbolt the left side mounts, unbolt the left crossmember - loosen the right, lower the engine about 3 inches, remove the left side mount parts from the engine, remove left pan, replace TCC solenoid.

Reply to
« Paul =?is