1994 Grand Prix 3.1 starting problem - intermittent

I need help with an intermittent starting problem on my 3.1 Grand Prix. I've had the problem off and on for 6 years and have never solved the problem. Over the years, I've changed the ignition switch (didn't help), battery ground cable (didn't help), starter, battery, etc. etc. The problem is that the solenoid will just click, but after you turn the key several times the car will start.

I've had some luck changing the starter on several occasions, but the problem always comes back, which is why this is so frustrating. I recently replaced the starter again with a GM remanufactured unit. The car started great for a week without failing once. Now, after 7 days, it's right back to square one. It may click 5 or 6 times and then start, or it may start on the first try, or it may take 10 clicks and then it will start. It's totally random.

It's so aggravating, but after 6 years, I've about given up. Does anyone have ANY ideas? Recently, I found the positive battery terminal leaking acid, so I replaced the battery and cleaned the positive cable end, but didn't replace the cable yet. I've ordered a new cable just in case, but again it's odd that the new starter worked great for a week and now acts up again.

ANY help is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
bill

Possible bad engine ground.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

When my '93 was doing this, I went to replace the starter. After I took off the positive cable and saw that it was heavily tarnished. I polished it and the nuts that hold it on and returned the replacement starter motor. Haven't had any problems in years.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

I cleaned the positive battery cable end and have also checked the grounds. I ordered a new positive cable but haven't received it yet. The only question I have is why replacing the starter fixed the problem for a while and the it comes back. You would think if the cable is bad, it would fail right away. Oh well, I'll keep on plugging.

Thanks.

Reply to
bill

Dnia Tue, 29 Aug 2006 02:48:04 GMT, bill napisa³(a):

I would check theft deterrent relay, I had same thing in mine GP until last mondey when I have change that relay.

Reply to
Ebay

Any idea where that is located? Thanks for the suggestion. I did find that I was only getting 7.4 Volts or so at the solenoid on the ignition wire, which seems to indicate a bad connection because if I put a jumper from the battery to the solenoid, the car turned over immediately without clicking. I then went to check at the ignition wire under the steering column (purple) and once I poked my meter probe into the wire, not only did it read 12.3 V, but the car started every time. It seems like there may be a bad connection around the wiring harness connection block under the steering column, but not 100% sure yet.

Reply to
bill