1994 Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am

I am getting ready to try and sell a car for my brother. It's a 1994 Pontic Firebird Trans-Am with the LT1 Engine and RAM air, and 4 wheel disc brakes and 65K miles.

My brother said that a mechanic once told him (at a Pontiac Dealer) that the RAM air must have been installed after the car was built becasue RAM air was not an option for this car in 1994.

I found some place online that seemed to verify this. This place also seemed to imply that 4 wheel disk brakes were not an option or this car until 1996, but I had to have a pinion gear replace the other day and the mechanic told me that the back disc brakes still some kinds of retainer pieces that are only there if it was original from the factory. He said this car must have come from the factory with the rear disc brakes and that they had never been replaced before. I asked this mechanic to look at the RAM air system and tell me if he thought it was an aftermarket setup, or if it looked like it came from the factory. He said he thought it looked factory, it even has the right hood for the RAM air.

Does anyone know if these options were available in 1994 for this car? Or is more likely that someone bought this car and then had RAM air and rear disc brakes added and made to look like factory....?

Thanks

Doug Tennessee

Reply to
dougb110

The hood and R/A system could be from a different year bird or from SLP in

  1. It did not leave the factory in 94 as a R/A car, as far as 4 wheel disc brakes....yes it was a factory option in 94.

Hope this helps.........Stan

Reply to
BAD 4 GOOD

Thanks for the info, that makes sense about the rear disc brakes. So I guess they were factory and the A/R was added after the fact. So what's SLP?

Reply to
dougb110

SLP < Street Legal Performance> is an aftermarket company that made High Performance parts/cars. They are still in business today....These guys are the ones who made the Firehawk. They would order the car new from Pontiac ,do the various upgrades and sell it on a limited basis.

They did for the Pontiac Firebird what Motion Automotive did for Chevrolet back in the late 60's through the early 70's

Hope this helps......Stan

Reply to
BAD 4 GOOD

That sounds like probably what happened. I may try to put this thing on EBAY for a cycle or two befor I try to sell it locally.

Thanks

Doug

Reply to
dougb110