1994 Pontiac Sunbird idles then stalls

I have a Pontiac Sunbird. First it would run until it warmed up then it would stall. It wouldn?t start up again until it cooled down. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor and it stills stalls although it will restart right away. After it runs for awhile it overheats. When I accelerate white smoke comes out of the exaust and it spits out condensation. I did a compression test and all 4 readings were 105 psi. Could this still be a head gasket or an exaust leak by the manifold? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
bcoots76

Have you been losing any coolant? Any coolant system work been done lately?

Have you been able to check for the presence of diagnostic trouble codes?

Reply to
Silver Surfer

> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report > abuse: > >
There is some coolant loss, but I?m not sure where it is going. I haven?t had any cooling system work done lately. I had a new radiator put in about 5 years ago. I?ve checked the oil, and it?s not milky or anything. There are no codes coming up. Could it be possible to be a head gasket that is leaking into the exaust? There is condensation coming out of the exaust. Would that cause the engine to stall? When I put a new head on about 8 months ago. Could it be possible that I didn?t get the gasket seated quite right. Is it possible to use too much gasket sealer and clog anything up? I?m not a mechanic or anything, but I am able to do most of the work along with some help! I appreciate all your help.

Reply to
bcoots76

If there is coolant loss and you don't see signs of it externally, then suspicions quickly turn to the possibility of a head gasket problem especially if you are seeing excessive condensation in the exhaust plume.

Are any of your present symptoms similar to what you were seeing when you changed the head gasket several months ago?

The use of sealant on the head gasket is controversial at best. I checked with the manufacturer of the gasket when rebuilding a Quad Four and was told in no uncertain terms that no sealant should be used; however, a local trusted builder told me he always used that copper stuff when he put the engine together.

Did you use new bolts when you put the head back on? Are the bolts on your head the "torque to yield" type?

Is this a four cylinder machine? If so can you look down the spark plug holes and see any coolant in the cylinders after it has sat for a while?

Can you put some air pressure (say 15 psig or so) on the cooling system and check for air leaking out any of the open spark plug holes?

Still thinking. Will post back if a brilliant idea comes up.

> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report> > abuse:

Reply to
Silver Surfer

it,s most likey one of 2 things the computer under dash (behind glove box) or the distributor under the fuel port (back of the motor underneath black box fastend to the botom of fuel injection size 10mm deep socket if a metric motor 2bolts and 1 nut follow spark plug wires) the symptoms of these 2 items are the car starts and the as it gets warm it will run until it ether stops or you shut it off and will not start till it cools down check distbutor to see if it has spark because it cost about 280.00 to480.00 buy used 65.00 to 125.00 the other comp is much less any where from 40.00 to150.00 used GOOD LUCK HOPE THIS HELPS

Reply to
cargirl2000