1994 Sunbird idles rough then stalls.won’t start til cold

I have a 1994 Pontiac Sunbird with a 2.0 It will start up and run for awhile, then stall. It won?t start up again until it has cooled down. You can also smell a strong fuel odor under the hood and some white smoke coming out of the exaust. I just replaced the head about 8 months ago and it?s not loosing any antifreeze. It was running fine and then just died on me while driving. It felt like it lost power and ran for another couple miles then stalled. That?s when this problem started. I?ve replace the crankshaft position sensor, coolant temperature sensor, pcv valve, and checked for vacuum leaks. Could the O2 sensor cause this? Could any other sensor cause this? Any help would be appreciated!

Reply to
bcoots76

Try disconnecting the exhaust in front of the catalytic converter. If you gradually lost power before it came to a stop or died then the exhaust is plugged. O2 sensor will not prevent the car from starting if the sensor behind the converter is bad then you would get a rich running ODBII code if it were in front of the converter it would produce a rich error code but will not prevent a sart up. A stuck EGR valve could give you power problems but I think the car would start up again just not run very well. If the car smokes while starting then you either put diesel in the tank or the piston rings are gone. Piston rings can go bad after a valve job or head replacement. Another possiblity would be if the timing belt/chain were off a valve could have punched a whole in the top of the piston.

Reply to
help_me