1994 Trans Sport parts - air compressor

Hello!

I'm a car-clueless girl and live in Spain, so I hope you can bear with me and any funny translations I may make. Any help will be much appreciated.

I recently bought a used 1994 Pontiac Trans Sport 3.8L 6 Cyl van. It soon developed a rattling noise which the mechanics say is due to a "belt" that goes around a water pump and and the air compressor for the A/C. If the problem is not repaired then it could affect the power-steering. The mechanics in question are the local Pontiac dealership's (there aren't many Pontiacs around, but I guess they're the ones who should know the most locally).

The problem is that they want over a thousand US$ for the A/C air compressor. I've been checking a few websites and it seems that it can be got from the US at around 300$. Now that's what I call marking-up your prices!! :( So I'm thinking of buying one direct from the US. The only doubt is if there's no chance of them being different parts. Could there be two "air compressor" parts in the car?

The part I've seen for sale is: Compressor w/ Clutch Assy Rmfg VIN L; HD6 at

This is another site that has a slightly different description, just "AC Compressor" (no mention of clutch):

They've told me I need and "A/C air compressor". Can anyone help?

Many thanks for your time,

Marianne

Reply to
Marianne Perdomo Machin

Dealer prices for a new air conditioner compressor here would be about $1000. I don't have the same car, but that's about right. You can get a rebuilt one here for $300, but they aren't very good. Make sure you're comparing new vs. new.

The compressor itself will make a chattering noise when it's getting worn out, and that's bad. However, it has no effect on any belt-driven accesories if you just turn it off. When the A/C is off the belt just turns a pulley that is running on a cheap and simple bearing. If you need this bearing (instead of the compressor), then it WILL stop the belt and it is a cheap repair.

The belt may also go over one or more spring-loaded idler pulleys, and those babies really do rattle. They're also cheap.

Joe

Hi!

And many thanks!

Excellent! :)

I see... coming from a non-automatic car culture the word clutch brought up the issue of changing gears and such, which seemed quite confusing.

Cheers!

Marianne

Reply to
Marianne Perdomo Machin

I'm totally in the belief that he's right about it being a cheap pulley. If you have racket and noise with the A/C off, your compressor most probably isn't at fault (unless of course something really obvious has happened like the A/C clutch sticking - you'd know because you'd get chilled every time you drive) but it is indeed some nasty $10 pulley.

Since these pulleys only consist of a plastic pulley with grooves in it and a bearing, I don't see why they shouldn't be cheap even there to replace! If you can get near the front of the motor safely while it is running, have a listen and see if you can spot the noisy one (or two...) :-)

Don't know much about the TransSport, for all I know the front of the motor appears in the middle of the cabin or something equally silly!

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

Now that sounds like a load of baloney, I'm no expert but I *am* an engineer, and if its fitted with a pulley and bearings, it can be removed in my opinion. Maybe one of the American people can help? Where are you guys?! :-)

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson