1995 Grand Am Wont start

It's my dad's car ... i just borrowed it to run down on a quick errand- it died. Jumped it and it ran fine for 5 minutes- but died before i can get home. He "insists" its a brand-new battery. haha - any help is appreciated

- just hope i can find an answer without a tow and a mechanic's fee-

Reply to
PStu

I have had that happen to me many times in different cars. It always turned out to be the battery or alternator.

Reply to
80 Knight

"PStu" wrote: > It's my dad's car ... i just borrowed it to run down on a > quick errand- it > died. Jumped it and it ran fine for 5 minutes- but died before > i can get > home. He "insists" its a brand-new battery. haha - any help is > appreciated > - just hope i can find an answer without a tow and a > mechanic's fee-

Definatley check altermator output. Keep in mind that the electric fuel pump runs constantly so a fresh battery won?t last long.

Reply to
bonne

Well... actually the f/p only runs past prime if there is oil pressure.

Reply to
« Paul =?is

"user" wrote: > bonne wrote: > > > > "PStu" wrote: >  > > It's my dad's car ... i just borrowed it to run > down on a >  > > quick errand- it >  > > died. Jumped it and it ran fine for 5 minutes- but > died before >  > > i can get >  > > home. He "insists" its a brand-new battery. haha - > any help is >  > > appreciated >  > > - just hope i can find an answer without a tow and > a >  > > mechanic's fee- > > > > Definatley check altermator output. Keep in mind that the > electric > > fuel pump runs constantly so a fresh battery won?t last > long. > > Well... actually the f/p only runs past prime if there is oil > pressure.

Exactly! so if your running around town with a bad alternator well then...

Reply to
bonne

Oh... Yes, you are correct. I misread something somewhere... somehow.

Reply to
« Paul =?is

"PStu" wrote: > It's my dad's car ... i just borrowed it to run down on a > quick errand- it > died. Jumped it and it ran fine for 5 minutes- but died before > i can get > home. He "insists" its a brand-new battery. haha - any help is > appreciated > - just hope i can find an answer without a tow and a > mechanic's fee-

oviousally not a new battery. Replace it and dont tell him about it

Reply to
bobparsons