1995 Pontiac Sunfire Stalling

I have a 95 Sunfire, with 173K, that stalls itermittently when comming to a stop. It runs fine if you dirve it for less then an hour but after that when you come to a stop the engine stutters and stalls. Starts again immediately, idles in park with no problems, but stumbles stalls again when shifting into drive. Sometimes, however, it starts right back up again and runs fine. Someone told me it could be the torque converter that's not unlocking 100% of the time. They said the solenoid will stick "on" once the car has warmed up a bit. Someone else said it could be the nutural control. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Aurelio

Reply to
Aurelio

stop. It runs fine if you dirve it for less then an hour but after that when you come to a stop the engine stutters and stalls. Starts again immediately, idles in park with no problems, but stumbles stalls again when shifting into drive. Sometimes, however, it starts right back up again and runs fine. Someone told me it could be the torque converter that's not unlocking 100% of the time. They said the solenoid will stick "on" once the car has warmed up a bit. Someone else said it could be the nutural control. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thousands of GM's have had that common GM problem. It is the TCC solenoid sticking. It needs to be replaced.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

I have a 1995 Sunfire that does the same thing. While mine has 101,600 miles, i still have atrocious problems. It stalls at nearly every red light, it runs fine when it isnt knocking and losing power and making me feel like im on some kind of amusement park bumper car ride. It could be your fuel injectors. I run cleaner through mine and that seems to stop the stalls for a while. It also has a warped head, it leaks anti freeze, i just had to replace the starter, and now my turn signals don't work..... My only advice to you is to get another car and do not ever buy a Pontiac ever again. They are NOT made to last.

Reply to
WeRSiamese

"WeRSiamese" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

miles, i still have atrocious problems. It stalls at nearly every red light, it runs fine when it isnt knocking and losing power and making me feel like im on some kind of amusement park bumper car ride. It could be your fuel injectors. I run cleaner through mine and that seems to stop the stalls for a while. It also has a warped head, it leaks anti freeze, i just had to replace the starter, and now my turn signals don't work..... My only advice to you is to get another car and do not ever buy a Pontiac ever again. They are NOT made to last.

I had a '95 sunfire that I drove for over 130,000 miles. I never had this problem with it. The only "problem" I had was a bad starter. Because of the mechanics screw up, I blew through 2 starters and 4 alternators in a month till they fixed it. Never happened again. They never admitted fault, but they didn't charge me parts or labor for any of the other replacements.

So, pontiac's RE made to last... you just got a lemon.

Reply to
orwell

I believe that Paul is correct.It sounds like the torque conv is not unlocking.Common problem.

Reply to
Philip Wagner