1995 Pontiac Transport Random, Won't start or turn over

Threaded View

I have a 1995 Pontiac transport van with the V-6 3.8 liter engine and
Automatic transmission.  I've started having it at random times deside
it's not going to start.  You turn the ignition key and it won't even
turn over, you get the light on the dash, the battery is in good
condition, headlights work well so it has good connection.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever had a problem like this and what you
found it to be.  It only happens so far on very hot days, I have
notice that the cooling fan seems to be running which is one of the
few times I've ever noticed it running when the engine wasn't

You turn the key and get the gauge reading like you should when
trying to start, but it doesn't even turn over and you don't even hear
the starter trying to turn or anything.. Wait and wiggle the steering
wheel arould and it will start after awhile.

Could be a loose connecion on the ignition swich, broken wire
in the steering column, .. Ideas??

Just don't like the idea of my wife driving it somewhere and getting
stranded, but don't want to take it to a shop to just start replacing
parts without an idea of what it is.

Mike

Re: 1995 Pontiac Transport Random, Won't start or turn over
First thing to do in these situations is to remove clean and tighten all
electrical connections at battery, grounds, and starter.
GW

Re: 1995 Pontiac Transport Random, Won't start or turn over
Hi,Ive encountered the same problem and after checking most all
componets,battery,starter the dealer said it was most likly the ignition
switch.After finding that out,I went and tried to start it and wiggled the
switch while starting and sure enough the starter tried to turn over.I've
started taking the column apart to replace the switch.

Hugh

Re: 1995 Pontiac Transport Random, Won't start or turn over
The switch is not in the column.

Re: 1995 Pontiac Transport Random, Won't start or turn over
The ignition switch is mounted on top of steering column.  You have to drop
the steering to get access to it.  The job is simple with about 40 min of
work total (assuming it is your problem).  I would check for this switch 1st
before going into steering column lock ignition.
I have a few pictures if you need to see it.
the
over.I've

Re: 1995 Pontiac Transport Random, Won't start or turn over

hey if you wouldn't mind sending those pictures my way and a breif run
down of what to do, i'd really appreciate it!!!!

jon
http://minivanmadness.com

Site Timeline