1996 bonneville transmission problem

I was having no problems with my transmission until I went down my steep driveway + there was a large rock sticking up,so of course, it hit the underside of my car, when I got to the bottom of the hill my car would not go into gear,I put it in park & got out to check the trans. fluid it ws fine.After getting back into the car I turned off the ignition & restarted the engine,the car went into gear & then jumped back out,it is parked in my yard now & it still will not stay in gear,but it will go into gear for a few seconds,PLEASE HELP

Reply to
mlt_2000

I had a neighbor once who had a very steep driveway where they parked there van every night. I do not know much about transmissions, but I was told that cause the guy never used the emergency brake, the transmission was holding the van in place on the steep driveway (cause the tranny was in park, obviously) and eventually something inside broke and the van rolled back down the driveway. I do not know exactly, but I do know that my cars have never liked being held on a steep driveway by just the trans and not the e-brake.

Someone who knows what they are talking about will chirp in soon I bet.

Reply to
80 Knight

Thanks,but my driveway is steep coming up the hill, but where I park my car is level.I think something got knocked loose when I hit that rock,hopefully that's all that's wrong.

Reply to
mlt_2000

also, the gear shift moves forward & backward without holding in the shift lock,but when it does want to go back in gear, it won't slide back & forth without holding it in.

Reply to
mlt_2000

Reply to
Shep