1996 Grand Am Engine RPM Indicater problem.

Hello all. I have a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am 3.1 6cyl. I'm having problems with the engine rpm indicator, specifically the engine rpm indicator goes erratic intermittently, It just keeps going back and forth then it goes back to normal then a few minutes later it happens again.. It also effects the other panel cluster indicators such as the gas gauge, speedometer and gas gauge. I don't know what it could be. If anybody know what it could be and what to look for please respond to this post. Your prompt replies will be appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
Nospam

When my dash goes bad I hit the dash and every thing goes back to normal. Probably a bad contact in the gage cluster.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

About 3 years ago I had identical symptoms on identical car (1996 Grand Am SE). VERY intermittent indications from all cluster gauges. Wound up being cluster control computer. (Controls all gauges and several of the idiot lights.) Computer was removed, adaptation data downloaded, then data uploaded into new computer. Data reading is needed for registering correct speedometer reading and other functions.

Reply to
John H. Smith

How much did it cost you to get this new cluster control computer?. Parts and labors.

Reply to
Nospam

I was afraid you were going to ask this question.

I need to find my car maintenance receipts. Work was performed at a Pontiac dealer in Indianapolis.

I'll give you a further reply as soon as I find my logs.

Good news, though. If this is the problem, it will not affect your car's operation. (Only the gauges/indicators are affected. -- Tach, Speed, Alt., etc.) Even when you have erratic tach reading or Alternator LED, the vehicle itself is still operating normally.

Reply to
John H. Smith