1996 Pontiac Sunfire SE Front End Shaking

Question:

I was driving my 96 sunfire se today on a round trip of about 100 miles. My average speed was 70mph. It has 140K on it and I have kept it well-maintained. It was running great until the last leg of the trip, when it began to pull to the left and I could feel some shake on the steering wheel. My wife also commented on it from the passenger seat. I pulled over thinking it was a possible flat tire in the making. Not so. Tires were fine. I drove the car home and the front wheels felt more and more "bumpy" as we drove, as if they were going flat, and also the pull to the right got worse. The steering wheel shaking was very obvious. Luckily I got home without issue. I didn't hit anything on the road and actually the highway drive was very smooth until the last 5 miles when the problem suddenly began. I am curious if any of you have a clue what this problem could be. I thought ball joints because it was similar to a problem I had with a truck years ago. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Reply to
CHARLIE MILLS

Did you lose a wheel weight? or is there a bubble in the sidewall of the tire? If there is a bubble in the sidewall replace the tire immediately if not sooner.It could also be a ball joint. jack up the car a bit and see if there is slop in the wheel. Also could be the lug nuts loose.

Reply to
Les Benn

Since it started suddenly, I would be inclined to say a lost weight. If it is something in the suspension, I would suspect that what ever it was broke and you should have a tie rod or something hanging down.

Tom S.

Reply to
Tom S

Couldn't be broke that bad, or he wouldn't be able to steer at all. The pulling suggests that the alignment is out. That would also account for steering wheel shake, as one front tire or the other would be trying to be the one going straight.

I would take the car immediately to an alignment shop (maybe have it towed if the shop is far away) and get a complete front end inspection. Having it suddenly go bad like that means that something is broken, and it's not safe to drive.

Reply to
Dan

Does the 96 Sunfire have front disc brakes? Could it be a hung caliper or even a missing pad? I'd vote for a thrown weight, except for the pulling part.

Tom S.

Reply to
Tom S

Thanks for all the helpful comments! All the things suggested were things I was thinking it could be.

It was: A big protruding bulge on the passenger side front tire.....a steel radial gone bad according to the mechanic. Had all the tires replaced because my wife drive the car normally and I didn't want a steel radial failing on her......car rides great now......and with 140K miles.

Thanks for all your replies! Charlie

Reply to
CHARLIE MILLS