1997 Grand Prix needs stronger springs??!!

I had taken my car into a repair center recently and the service techs say I need a stronger suspension in the rear. I have never replaced anything for the suspension and apparently I'm being told my rear tires are being worn in a wavy pattern because of the extra weight from my stereo system and golf clubs in my trunk. I'm pissed to hear this because the weight I'd have to guess is like one (maybe two) person(s) consistently riding in my backseat to weigh the back down. It does appear to be a little lower but I can't seem to find where to find these stronger springs. They recommended places like U-Haul since they install ball joints on cars that they might also be able to install a stronger springer or something but I haven't gotten to them yet and I talked to a local dealer that makes custom car springs and I was told that he couldn't do it for this car (the guy that told me was amazed he couldn't as well). What are your thoughts on this?? Is this just crap since my car has around 140,000 miles and maybe just replace the suspension and I'll be fine?? I've found parts for lowering the car but I guess I am looking for something to hold the car to it's normal height under this added weight. Please help.

Reply to
brettcasper

Which GP you got?

If its a base model it has lighter springs and struts to give a smooter ride. I think going to a GP GT Strut & Spring is a stiffer combination. This might help your cause.

A stiffer strut & spring will give a harser ride though.

The car is 7 years old with 140,000 so it could be time to replace the struts & springs.

I'd take it to a reputable spring shop. Not Firestone !.

Good Luck

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 32,391 91 Bonneville LE 304,498
Reply to
Harry Face

It's a GT already. I was looking at the site strutmaster.com that has some suspension parts for my car that seem to be a little better; I'm still waiting a response from them. Do you have any recommendations for a reputable spring shop?? Either way, I'm thinking I should probably replace the suspension due to the age but I'm trying to figure out if I need some form of an aftermarket one.

Reply to
brettcasper

Reply to
Shep

I'm running out of ideas besides replacing the suspension with new parts. This strutmaster.com didn't have anything. I was hoping to find something that is aftermarket that would be stronger. Can someone please help??

Reply to
brettcasper

i can't see many companys r&d'ing a set of stock height stiff springs, people normally get stiff springs for better handling, thats why they lower them aswell. If your usuing your orginal springs and struts, why not replace them with new oem ones, springs are probably weak and sagged by now, thus giving you the problems you have

Reply to
M.C. Tee

Agreed... I'll bet that if you look carefully at their building, you'll see the roof starting to peel away from the building ;)

Reply to
jwardl