1997 Pontiac Sunfire starting problem...

Threaded View

155k miles, 2.4l engine with manual transmission.

Just went out to my car to start it, and nothing happened.  The car started
and ran fine 6 hours earlier when I took my son to school.

When the key moves from the "locked" position to the start position, the
dashboard lights come on momentarily, then quickly turn off, then nothing.
It's like I don't have the clutch in all the way, nothing.

The way the dashboard lights come on is strange.  I can't get the key in a
position where the lights stay on.  It's just a flash, they're on between
lock and start, no position in between do they stay on, just in that "in
between" position.

Before I go and troubleshoot this thing in the cold, can someone give me a
clue?

Any and all advice/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Brigitte

Re: 1997 Pontiac Sunfire starting problem...

Sounds like the battery is dead.

Re: 1997 Pontiac Sunfire starting problem...

started
nothing.
between

I'll try to jump start it in the morning.  If it works, I'll take it down
and have it tested.

I didn't realize a battery would go dead without the slightest warning.

Thanks for your input.

Brigitte

Re: 1997 Pontiac Sunfire starting problem...

They usually give some sort of warning - Like dimming
of the headlights when the engine is turned off.
You have to be aware of the signs - they can be subtle.

Re: 1997 Pontiac Sunfire starting problem...

I have had batteries die on me right when the car was running. I have also
had batteries that would start the car fine one day, then be completely dead
5 minutes after I shut it off. Your best bet would be, like you said, to get
it jump-started and then get your battery tested. Here in Canada, Canadian
Tire tests batteries for free, as do many other places. Just don't let them
sell you there 'premium' battery if yours turns out to be bad ;-)

Site Timeline