1997 Pontiac Transport. Rear Window motor

I'm trying to find a few parts for my 97 Transport, but I'm having the hardest time.

The windows on the rear of my van open outwards with electric motors that are actuated by a switch on my overhead console. Only one of them is working. The other appears to be locked up tight. I can't find this part anywhere. (Okay, so I haven't actually tried the Pontiac dealer yet :). What would this motor be called? I've had no luck at NAPA or Advanced Auto Parts.

My driver side window isn't working and I'm convinced that the problem is with the switch. This is also a part that I cannot find.

Are there parts generally only available at Pontiac dealerships? Are there any sites other than the two mentioned above that are good for buying parts online?

Thanks for any insights you can provide!

Reply to
Charles Waters

It will be a strictly dealer part. It will NOT be available from the normal aftermarket supply chain. Your only chance is the dealer or wreckers (used part). Remove it and check to be sure it is actually the motorized unit that is bad.

Pontiac and Chevy use the same parts, in most cases. Ocaisionally the switch will be used in something other than the particular model you are looking at (ie, part for Silouett/Trans Sport may also show up in Gran Am, or Century, or Alero.

Reply to
clare

I believe it's called a "rear quarter window actuator". Early in my 98 Montana's life I had problems with one of the actuators. In fact replaced twice under warranty: p/n 10299850. I should caution there may be a right and left with diff. p/n's. The one that failed (recall it was the right side) always failed with the window closed and it seemed to 'labor' as it was closing. The motor pulled the window in too tight and I think loaded the motor too much. When the motor (actuator) tried to open it just stalled. I could gently push and get it started and it would work for awhile. Suggest you try this first. If you determine this to be the problem I fixed mine by removing the actuator and elongating the mounting holes so the actuator doesn't pull the window in as tightly. There's no real adjustment provided but the elongated holes let the actuator move out slightly. I'd also check power at the actuator with a test lamp. You can email someone like

and ask for the p/n's or for that matter go to a dealership parts dept. and ask. 10299850 is still a good p/n. HTH

Reply to
DonW

Reply to
J Hall