1997 Sunfire -- new to me

Hey all, I have a few issues with my sunfire and hope I can get help here. First, we bought this car about a month ago and it passed cert, but did not pass the e-test. The report said that it was high on the NoX, reading of

930 instead of the under 505 PPM it needs to pass. I think it may be the EGR but there are no codes, I had a Chevy Dealer pull them up and the only code on it is for the AC. Second, the "Theft System" light on the dash lights up now and then when I am driving. If the light goes on it wont go off again until the engine is off and it is restarted. Third, who's brilliant idea was that for the neglecting to put a dipstick for the trans. Went to move the car the other day and it would not even go into gear, look for the stick and it's not there, so I put a liter in and hope for the best and it worked. I took the car into a tranny shop to change the filter and gasket, and they say that it is not the gasket that is leaking but it is the axle seals. Are these easy to replace or does it require special tools, I have tools and skills but no garage to work in. Any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance...

Dave O

Reply to
Dave O

If your getting high Nitric oxide output, and it isn't the EGR, it is probably your catalyst converter is worn out. Try installing a new one and get it checked out agian. As far as the axle seals go, I installed a new pair on my 92 grand prix with just a wrench and a screw driver. The Theft system light may have something to do with the ignition switch, but i am not sure about that.

Reply to
Manthac