1998 GTP - engine dies

I was driving my 1998 GP GTP today and all of a sudden then engine shut down. I parked the car and tried to turn it on. The engine ran for a few seconds and it died again. Prior to this experience I had no warning lights on the dashboard that would alert me of anything, no low battery, no check engine, nothing. I can turn on the car with no problem but after about 3 seconds the engine just dies. Although the fuel gauge marks 1/2 tank, I added 1 gallon of gas just in case there was a problem with the gauge. Still the same problem, the engine starts just fine but dies in a matter of seconds. So far I've heard that it can be a problem with the fuel pump or the alternator. Anyone out there has experienced the same problem? Any suggestions, comments?

Thanks

Reply to
Enrique

Sounds like fuelpump control circuit problem.

Reply to
clare

An engine needs fuel, spark, and proper timing of both. You will need to figure out which (or lack of) is creating the problem. Check the fuel rail pressure. It should be 40-60 psi. Check the spark. It should jump an inch or three. Check injector fire with a Noid light.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=A0Paul=A0?=

Do you get oil pressure? Whens the last time the fuel filter has been changed?

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Hey Enrique,

I had the same type of problem with a Ford Thunderbird...I could get it started, but couldn't keep it running. The problem was the in-tank fuel pump.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Well, the dealership diagnosed the problem to be the in-tank fuel pump. I have a n extended warranty on the car so the new fuel pump is covered. The only thing that seems fishy to me is that I was told the fuel pump costs over $400!!! Is that a reasonable price? The warranty doesn't cover labor costs or the new fuel filter which they say costs $49. Are these prices outrageous or are they real?

Enrique

Reply to
Enrique

Sadly, they are BOTH. The difference between truth and fiction is fiction must be reasonable to be believed.

Reply to
clare

Yup those sound like real dealership prices to me.

This is where prevention pays off. Two things must be adhered to in order to keep a fuel pump happy and running for the life of the car.

  1. DO NOT run your car below a quarter of a tank of gas!
  2. Follow recommended fuel filter change intervals. Those 2 simple things will save you so much money and trouble in the future...

If you want to save money now the best thing to do is to buy an aftermarket fuel pump from the auto store and install it yourself or goto a none dealership shop and have them do it. An aftermarket fuel pump is about 150-300 bucks.

Also there is no way in hell I'd pay 50 bucks for a fuel filter. Goto the autoparts store and buy a fram fuel filter for 10 bucks! Take a rag and let the pressure off at the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Then use line wrenches to take the old filter off. Easy as pie and you cant go wrong with fram.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Agreed

Just did a fuel pump in a 98 silverado. used a bit of elbow grease. paid $220 for the $330 pump. (friends' prices). filter was $12. One could buy just the pump and the sock, but now you get the whole sending unit and pump.

Advise you disconnect the battery to keep the pump from possibly kicking on and reset the codes. do this any time you do major engine component work or electrical.

The pressure can just seep out on its own and may be as simple and removing the gas cap. don't worry it won't spew gas if it doesn't have power.

tip: pounding on the tank while a friend turns the key can often times jump the pump to get you to a safe base or home to fix it.

good luck,

BTK

P.S. it goes back together better than it comes apart. use a jack to lower, don't take it all the way down without disconnecting you may tear a line, and these lines my have a connector that requires a special tool. dont break the sending unit and you may get you core back. siphen some of the gas out before you set it back in because it will be heavy.

Reply to
btk