1998 Pontiac Radio Lights?

Friend has a 98 Pontiac that the radio lights have gone out .Know this is a problem with Ford Explorers and have fixed these with a simple cure. Pontiac is quite different! Any one else had this problem and what was the fix ( short of a $400 new radio).Are the lights a part of the radio system or bulb change ? Thnx Bill

Reply to
Bill Hall

Hi Bill,

My lights are out also. Just ordered a Display light from

You need to remove the panel from under the steering column and then the front face of the dash that goes around the radio. Two screws removes the radio just undo the tabs and pull the face off carefully. You will see the bulb. This site includes directions. I am waiting for the bulb. It will cost you $18. Not cheap. Dealer can't order it from what they told me.

You can got to Radio Shack and try to solder a bulb in, but it's a pain. You need to know the wattage.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Thanks for the info. My 2000 SSEi has a bulb out which is a real pain because it makes the hour number unreadable during the daytime.

Lee

Reply to
Lee C. Carpenter

Thanx Ed! That's what's so neat about these newsgroups. "Somebody else has been there and done that" :>)

Reply to
Bill Hall

also you could just solder in a new bulb in its place, will cost about $1-2 instead of 18, this is what i did with my odometer light, exact same bulb

Reply to
M.C. Tee

What bulb did you use? Radio Shack ? or other. Tnx Bill

Reply to
Bill Hall

canadian tire, the smallest 12v bulb i could find, its a push in type so you can bend the electrodes out to make contact, ill look up the bulb number later, i have the package with the second bulb in my car

Reply to
M.C. Tee

I tried a small bulb, but you have to get the right wattage. The one I tried was 12v and 25ma. It was way too dim. I didn't want to buy a lot of $1.29 bulbs until I got the right one. If it is too bright it could get too hot and melt the plastic. You can experiment and try to get it right.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

does this work the same with an 02 pontiac grand am b/c my light has been out since i bought the car?

Reply to
Sexy_Sher

I would send an email to

ask.