1998 Trans Am exhaust

I recently purchased a beautiful, black 1998 Trans Am with the Ram Air, and WS6 package. The odometer read only 12003 miles. When I picked up the car, I noticed something odd about the exhaust system. Instead of two chromed-tipped tailpipes coming out of the rear, there was only one, coming out from the driver's side. I immediately thought maybe the other tailpipe had either rusted or broken off. Upon further inspection, it looked as if the exhaust system had been installed that way on purpose. Couldn't figure that one out; thought maybe the owner went the cheap way out if he had to make repairs.

I took the car to a local muffler shop to have the exhaust "fixed" and get it looking right (I thought it looked awful with the one chrome-tipped pipe sticking out). The mechanic there said the system was factory stock, and that this was the second time he had seen this, nor could he figure why the car would come from the factory this way.

Any one here able to answer:

A. Did Pontiac make Trans Ams this way?

B Why?

C. Wouldn't this adversly hurt the perfromance of the car?

Reply to
coachrose13