1999 Gran Prix Fueling Problem

Can anyone give me an idea of why when I fill up my 99 Gran Prix and it gets to 3/4 full it then takes forever to fill up the last

1/4 tank of gas? Thanks
Reply to
kekoken

I cannot figure out what you are trying to say. Each 1/4 increment will take 1/4 of the time. Mark a bucket in 1/4 increments and then time each 1/4 when filling it with water.

Reply to
« Paul »

Paulie,

What he's trying to say is when he's got 3/4 of gas in the tank it takes longer to add the last 1/4.

Probably due to the tight bend in your filler tube from the quarter panel to the tank.

Other models have the same problem. I've heard some reports of people having to barely squeeze the trigger to fill up.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~297,024 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Oh. Sounds like his gas gauge is shot.

Reply to
« Paul »

Obviously the OP needs to clarify, but I think HF is right. The guy is probably complaining that the filling station pump keeps shutting off as he tries to put the last two or three gallons in the tank, and that is caused by the tighter vapor recovery systems used these days, and awkward filler neck angles. The first thing I would try is a different gas station. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Oh. YOu and Hf are probably right. It never occured to me that what the=

op was talking about was the nozzle automatically shutting off.

Reply to
« Paul »

When filling the last quarter of the fuel tank, i have to literally hold the nozzle a half inch out from the filling neck to fill it. When its -30 outside like the past couple of days it gets to be pretty aggravating. Tried different stations, all with the same result. When it thaws out a little i will clean out the little plastic tube that's up in the neck which is designed to help with this problem. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
kekoken

Would this be a California car? I have the same 99GrandPrix on the east coast and no problems filling to the top

Reply to
David Hough