1999 Grand Prix Trans Problems

A friend of mine just called with a car problem and I'm hoping I can get some advice from this group.

She has a 1999 Grand Prix (I believe it's the GT but not supercharged) with an automatic transmission. The car has 130k miles. The transmission has stopped shifting into overdrive. She took it to the transmission shop and they told her the only thing she can do is buy a new transmission.

My questions are as follows:

1) is there anything else that could be causing this problem?

2) will driving the car (3000 rpms @ 60mph) cause any problems?

Thanks,

Ray

Reply to