1999 Pontiac GTP Shudders and stalls around 4000 rpm

I just bought this car thinking it was a great deal. It has 152,000 miles on it, but ran great. I?ve never seen a car with this many miles so clean and run so smooth. No knocks, ticks, nothing. I think the driver?s CV is on the outs, but that?s not too bad. I brought it home today and it ran fine until it started shuddering and cutting back everytime the engine got to about 4000 rpm. In park and neutral it starts to do it around 3500 and when you get to 4000 or higher it?s really bad. The engine shudders violently and starts to die until you let off it. I got a check engine light. The codes read a low input on the MAF and bank 1 running lean. I checked to maf and cleaned it, but didn?t want to replace it just yet. ($135). I drove it around for a bit and the codes haven?t come back, but it?s still doing it. Any ideas where to look?

Reply to
cduemig

How's the fuel filter?

Reply to
80 Knight

Can your scanner monitor the current MAF readings? Is the connector on the MAF cracked or broken? Monitor it while running if possible to see if it is reading and changing.

Reply to
Micah

Sometimes the simplist answer is the correct one. I replaced the MAF sensor and now it runs fine...

"80 Knight" wrote: > "cduemig" wrote in message > news:985124 snipped-for-privacy@autoboardz.com... > >I just bought this car thinking it was a great deal. It has > 152,000 > > miles on it, but ran great. I've never seen a car with this > many > > miles so clean and run so smooth. No knocks, ticks, > nothing. I think > > the driver's CV is on the outs, but that's not too bad. I > brought it > > home today and it ran fine until it started shuddering and > cutting > > back everytime the engine got to about 4000 rpm. In park > and neutral > > it starts to do it around 3500 and when you get to 4000 or > higher it's > > really bad. The engine shudders violently and starts to die > until you > > let off it. I got a check engine light. The codes read a > low input > > on the MAF and bank 1 running lean. I checked to maf and > cleaned it, > > but didn't want to replace it just yet. ($135). I drove it > around > > for a bit and the codes haven't come back, but it's still > doing it. > > Any ideas where to look? > > How's the fuel filter?

Reply to
cduemig