2.4 Water Pump -- Expensive because of timing chain driven..

What causes these to wear out and seap from the warning hole? I have a pontiac with 40,000 miles and now I need a new water pump.

Sure it is a 97 so it is getting up there in age, but why the water pump? The coolant has been flushed after its 5 years like the manual states.

I have a 94 Grand Prix with 230k miles and had to replace the water pump at

205k... That is cool.. Why do the Pontiacs vary in reliability? Are they just slapping them together these days?

Jeff P

Reply to
Jeffrae

If it's just "seeping" I would monitor it and see if you actually lose coolant. It's fairly normal for these water pumps to "seep" coolant without it being necessary to replace the pump. It's such a problem that GM provides a plastic collar with a foam insert that you install around the new water pump when you replace them. The idea is that seeping coolant will be absorbed by the collar and never hit the ground, hence the customer will not complain.

Things that are mechanical can and will wear out.

Two different engines, two different water pumps. You should have see the reliability of the 3.8 water pumps in the late 80's and early

90's. It was terrible....until they changed the way the belt was routed.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Short answer - Dexcool.

Longer answer - Dexcool Sucks.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

No it leaks out enough to leave puddle. It takes about 2 weeks to get the low coolant light to come on.

Reply to
Jeffrae

Well it is so crazy how GM can make an excellent engine like the one that is in my 94 Grand Prix. (3100)

Then they go slapping that 2.4 POS in some cars.. GM should have junked the 2.4 long ago.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrae