2000 GR AM SE - when to replace timing chain?

My 2000 GR AM SE with 2.4L (dual overhead cam) engine is aproaching

90,000 miles. I know it has a timing chain and not a belt so when do I replace the chain, 100,000 miles?

Thanks.

Reply to
Drumstick

You shouldn't need to replace the timing chain as a maintenance item. Sometimes, the tensioner shoe can wear, but if you have maintained the engine well (by this I mean regular oil changes) the chain will probably last as long as you own the vehicle. I can't remember the last time I put a chain in a Quad engine.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Thanks. I'll sleep easier knowing that. I have had this vision of the chain breaking at about 60mph and all the push rods, lifters etc. go flying...

Reply to
Drumstick

See...you can't always trust a "vision". That engine doesn't have any pushrods....(grin)

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

To add to this from my own experience. I own a '95 2.3 Quad. I had to have mine replaced at 100k. I do the maintenance very strictly and never skimp on quality. However, I did buy it used (never know how it was maintained before) and I tend to drive it hard more than most people. My case was as Ian said, the tensioner shoe wore out. It gave me PLENTY of warning too. It started rattling and clicking progressively louder over several weeks. I wouldn't worry.

Reply to
Tony V.