2000 Gran Prix Transmission Fluid

The transmission is a type 4T65-E and the owner's manual calls for use of GM Dextron III automatic transmission fluid.

After replacing a leaking pan gasket I need to fill the transmission case with ATF fluid and my question is: "Is there any reason why I should not use an aftermarket product e.g. Valvoline, Mobile, Chevron, etc. ATF fluid that is marked as meeting Dextron III specs? This fluid is much cheaper than the GM Dextron III fluid sold by the dealer and it's supposed to meet all of GM's Dextron III specs.

Ray

Reply to
Ray Hardy

go for it!! any brand as long it marked DEXRON III

Reply to
DA .

Reply to
abomb6900

I know I'm nit-picking, but there is no "T" in DEXRON

Reply to
DA .

What is the diff. between Dexron II or Dexron III?

Reply to
newsgroup

additives. III supersedes II. you can use III where it calls for II but not the other way around. II hasn't been made for years.

Reply to
DA .