2000 Grand Prix GT

My fan will only work on 5 (max) it will not work on any other speeds. Any ideas?

Reply to
babyspiel

The Blower resistor went " POOF ". It controls the lower speeds - not high. It supposed to be located high up under the dash on the passenger side and hard to get at.

Good Luck

Harryface

05 Park Avenue 91 Bonneville LE, 303,555 miles
Reply to
Harry Face

The most likely explanation for your somewhat common problem is that the resistor module for the fan has gone kaput. Fairly simple and relatively inexpensive to fix.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Not easy to fix on grand prix; hard to get to. I replaced mine, but could not get the old one out. It is stuck so close to the fire wall that I couldn't get a wrench on it. The part is about $17 on line. But if you don't install it correclty, it will burn out in only a few days like mine did. It has to be installed so that the blower (fan) pulls air across it to keep it cool.

My next attempt will be to either figure out how to make a big honking heat sink for the new one, or just make my own speed control in series with the blower motor power wires. I'm not going to put it back where it is suppose to go. Too much trouble and it will burn out again anyway.

The origional resistors are just being used for a voltage drop, but they are too small wattage size and burn up. You replace one correctly and it will still get too hot and burn open eventually. I live in FL, so the air blowing across it, doesn't help a lot.

Reply to
gifer

Sounds like its the resistor. It must be common with GP(S). I had mine replaced on my 02 GP GT; it would only work on 3-5, not 1-2. Works great now.

Reply to
mhodges1338

Hi,

I bought the part for my Pontiac, in Ottawa Canada cost $60.00. I replaced it myself, quite a job, lots of swearing and puffing.

If you want to know were it is located, email me at, snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Bulach

Reply to
RC car parts

I have an 03 Grand AM GT that has the same problem, fan works at high speeds but not low. How do I fix that, and how much will it run?

Reply to
KMU

Reply to
RC car parts

Reply to
An American Revolution

I guess this could also be a reason that the blower will not shut off even when the ignition is turned off? I had to pull the fuse for the HVAC Hi to get it to quit running constantly and then I only have speeds 3 and 4 and nothing else. Sound like the same problem?

Thanks

Philip

Reply to
Philip Easley

i dont have that problem, but I have only high speeds, I know where the part is located, but on a car, its a bitch to get to, I'll let my mechanic take care of it.

Reply to
An American Revolution

"" wrote: > My fan will only work on 5 (max) it will not work on any other > speeds. Any > ideas?

Same thing here on my ?02 Grand Prix. Works on 5 only. On any other speed (and off) it blows a little but I think it?s just whats coming through the car at higher speeds.

Would like to know where it?s located and costs too.

Reply to
knippysing

"mattchooxtreme" wrote: > i dont have that problem, but I have only high speeds, I know > where the part > is located, but on a car, its a bitch to get to, I'll let my > mechanic take > care of it. > > > "Philip Easley" wrote in > message > news:MzGye.13081$fV.8852@okepread06... > >I guess this could also be a reason that the blower will not > shut off even > > when the ignition is turned off? I had to pull the fuse for > the HVAC Hi > > to > > get it to quit running constantly and then I only have > speeds 3 and 4 and > > nothing else. Sound like the same problem? > >

Ditto on where the thing is located (i.e pictures). Any help would be apppreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
stan_5150