2000 Grand Prix GT needs to rear brakes, need information

I'm thinking about doing the work myself and I'm wondering what's involved? A friend mentioned I may need to purchase a caliper reset tool. Does anyone have a link to the service manual procedure or reccomendations?

Reply to
null

The tool is just a block with a spot for a ratchet. The block has 2 pins that line up with the piston on the caliper. You simple ratchet the piston back into the caliper. Any auto parts store sells the the. I think it costs about $8.

Reply to
Tj

a C clamp will work too

Reply to
Nascar24Rulz

I got plenty of those. Is the caliper designed so that I can loosen a couple bolts and swing it up or does it need to be completely removed? What about bolt torques?

Reply to
null

No, it won't work on rear disc brake calipers. The piston has to be screwed back into place while it's being retracted.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Ian...I had a 2000 GT...c clamp worked just fine for the rear also

Reply to
Nascar24Rulz

Did the parking brake still work when you put it back together? GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

You are right, I am wrong. My mistake, the newer w-cars have the drum-in-hat rear park brake setup, so it's not necessary to screw in the piston.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

no problem at all...thats what these forums are for...learning :O)

Reply to
GT Grand Prix 00

Reply to
null

you dont really have to torque them, just make sure they are tight

Reply to
GT Grand Prix 00

Oops it's a 2001, my mistake, but it doesn't matter. Yep, a signed up under a friends Alldatadiy membership and downloaded the service manual information. There's no torque for the caliper frame bolts. The job took a total of 1.5 hours and I only needed a c-clamp to push the piston back in. Easy job, now the brakes are smooth as glass.

Reply to
null