2000 Grand Prix GT Sunroof leak

I have a 2000 Grand Prix GT that is accumulating water inside the dome light. I think it is tracking from the sunroof, but when checked by the mechanic at dealership, I am told there is no sign of any water leaks. Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

Reply to
David McDougall

Check to make sure the water channel drains are not clogged with dirt, leaves, etc. Look for some holes in the rear ward part of the sunroof track and try blasting some compressed air in them. A long piece of heavy gauge wire will also work.

Another test would be to pour a small amount of water in the track and see if it drains out, typically the water runs out ahead of the rear wheels, might be from a slot or a round hole in the sheet metal underneath the car.

Inspect the rubber gasket the glass seals against. Awhile back another guy posted that the gasket is not sold separately, you have to buy the whole sunroof assembly for Mega $$$.

Good luck

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~269,000 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

I had a similar problem with my Bonneville few years ago. The problem was attributed to a damage (piched) drain tube along the passenger side just above my dashboard during assembly of the interior trim. I was able to locate the damage and repair it myself. What I did was to plug one drain hole at the time with RTV. Since the drain hole is small (one or two drain hole depending what you are trying to do), so controlling the amount of water is critical not to poor too much water as it could over flow and you will have a mess to deal with later. It is a time consuming process so take your time by shifting the car parking angle to faciliate the water flow. Once you locate your source of the problem, you will have to pull the interior trim out and replace or repair it. Since you have a 2000 model, I would bring it back to dealer.

Good luck MN

-- Commercial email is not welcome. For your own information only. No warranty of any kind is provided with this message

Reply to
Mnn