2000 GTP only runs for 5 seconds then dies

I have a 2000 GTP...car died on the highway...would restart but only run for 5 seconds at idle or it would keep running if i floored it. On this site i found a quick fix...bend one of the tabs on the fuel pump relay and it started up no problem. I bought a new relay and put it in and its back to the run for 5 second problem so I put the other relay back in just to get around...any ideas???

Reply to
MikeP

If you haven't fixed your car, email me and I will tell you exactly how to fix it, as I had the same thing happen to my Grand Prix!

Reply to
bar1962

"" wrote: > If you haven't fixed your car, email me and I will tell you > exactly how to > fix it, as I had the same thing happen to my Grand Prix!

What is your email buddy..I would def love to know how to fix it before it gets worse..thanx

Reply to
MikeP

Your problem is the fuel pump resistor. Located in front wheel well on passenger side. Turn your wheels all the way left. Remove the 3 screws in front of where the tire normally is, next remove the 2 screws under the front fender. Pull the plastic inner fender toward the wheel to gain access behind inner fender. You should see a white horseshoe shaped object with a plugin. This is the resistor, should be held on with 1 screw. Go to GM dealer ONLY to obtain a new one. Cost is about $35. The new one will come with directions on how to install. If you have problems installing it, let me know. Also, you have to use the new fuel pump relay you bought. Do NOT bend over any prongs once you have the new resistor installed. My email address is " snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net", should you have any additional questions. My wife checks daily but I am not on here everyday, so she will let me know if there are any emails for me.

Reply to
bar1962

"" wrote: > Your problem is the fuel pump resistor. Located in front wheel > well on > passenger side. Turn your wheels all the way left. Remove the > 3 screws in > front of where the tire normally is, next remove the 2 screws > under the > front fender. Pull the plastic inner fender toward the wheel > to gain > access behind inner fender. You should see a white horseshoe > shaped object > with a plugin. This is the resistor, should be held on with 1 > screw. Go to > GM dealer ONLY to obtain a new one. Cost is about $35. The new > one will > come with directions on how to install. If you have problems > installing > it, let me know. Also, you have to use the new fuel pump > relay you > bought. Do NOT bend over any prongs once you have the new > resistor > installed. My email address is " snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net", > should you have > any additional questions. My wife checks daily but I am not > on here > everyday, so she will let me know if there are any emails for > me.

I really appreciate it buddy..ill probably do that friday so I will keep you posted

Reply to
MikeP

Mike,the new resistor will now be relocated to the firewall.you need a drill,9/64th drill bit and small socket.pretty easy job to do.Let me know how it turns out.Glad to help you out.

Reply to
bar1962

"" wrote: > Mike,the new resistor will now be relocated to the > firewall.you need a > drill,9/64th drill bit and small socket.pretty easy job to > do.Let me know > how it turns out.Glad to help you out.

Why do I have to relocate it..not that its a big deal, just wonderin...

Reply to
MikeP

Mike,the reason for relocating is because it was put in a bad location to begin with.Due to rain,snow,dirt,ect.the resistor deteriorates.When I removed mine it almost fell apart,so in order to keep this from happening they simply found a new place for it.Mine is just to the left of the alternator and it comes with a cap to protect it.Look for the metal that is painted black and install it there.I did have to remove windshield washer tank and the cross member but still an easy job.Good luck.

Reply to
bar1962

"" wrote: > Mike,the reason for relocating is because it was put in a bad > location to > begin with.Due to rain,snow,dirt,ect.the resistor > deteriorates.When I > removed mine it almost fell apart,so in order to keep this > from happening > they simply found a new place for it.Mine is just to the left > of the > alternator and it comes with a cap to protect it.Look for the > metal that > is painted black and install it there.I did have to remove > windshield > washer tank and the cross member but still an easy job.Good > luck.

I finally replaced the resistor and u were right..mine was rusted and cracked in half...i relocated the new one and put the new relay in and it started right up..lets hope i get some better mileage now..thanx again bro

Mike

Reply to
MikeP