2000 Montana dash & radio display

Just picked up a 2000 Montana Ext with 100,000 km (60k miles). So far I really enjoy it, but I'm looking for advice on a couple issue...

  1. The radio display is only half lit, the eq side is dim (combination CD/CASS/Radio) - anyway to fix this other than replacing the whole unit?

  1. The dashboard and HVAC controls also have lights that randomly go on and off. Anybody have experiance troubleshooting this problem?

  2. When I had the car checked before I bought it an emissions code was set in the computer. They cleared it and said it could be caused by something as small as the gas cap not being on properly. Anyways, the check engine light came back on a couple of days after it was cleared. Any input on trouble shooting that code, or telling if the vented cap is working properly?

Anything would be helpful - Jason.

Reply to
Montana_Owner

I've got a 98 Montana who's radio display is intermittant. Some segments are out but seem to return when first started and may stay on the entire day. I haven't tried to see what it takes to fix 'cause the radio/cd/tape still works. Not had the problem described in #2. If "they" cleared the code then "they" should have known what it was and there should be no question if it was set because a gas cap not being on properly. In fact it might even be illegal to clear a code without making a repair to address the issue. If you have an AutoZone or similar store in your area some will have a scanner that can tell you what the DTC (diagostic trouble code) is, otherwise can take it to a shop/dealer that has the equipment.... or back to where you bought it. If from a dealer or used car lot, might help if you know if there orignal action was illegal or not.

Reply to
DonW

This is yet another poor piece of GM engineering on the Pontiac stereo/CD display. The commonly go out, is well-known at Pontiac, but as usual, refuse to accept any responsibility for it.

Pontiac directed me to a stereo repair guy that apparently they send all their clients with this problem to. Cost about $160 to repair.

My went out for a year, came back on for 6 months, now is off again. If i pound the console, usually comes back on.

This is why I will never drive another American made car. Quality is poor, and worse, they never admit they screwed up and fix the problem. This is GM pays. They have lost me as a customer for life.

Reply to
mlabus

Quality poor? Let's compare:

Mazda 626 (1996 model) Transmission failure at ~190,000km (117k miles) Engine runs poor Rusty

Pontiac Grand Prix (1998 model) Radio clock display troubles at 225,000km (135k mile) nothing else

You are mad at a whole huge industry because your radio LCD display went out? They go. Face it. I got Nissans and Mazdas and Toyotas, plus my Saabs with flaky radio displays, and even a Mercedes-Benz 300 TD whose Becker radio display (factory) is dying.

Keep in mind that Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Mitsubishi Galant and even the Nissan Altima (IIRC) is American made anyway.

Reply to
Max

I 100% agree. I thought I would never say that but I agree. I have a 99 Pontiac Montana, I've already changed out the engine (Yes Engine) Transmission, Tail light assembly, Radiator (2X) believe me the list goes on. I called GM and all they offered me was a $1000.00 towards another GM car. Oh yeah, my stereo/CD lights went out as well. If you wonder why I still have the car, its because I bought it on a GM smart buy and my van is so terrible, the cost far out weighs the value. I know there are a lot of "Buy American Car Only" badgers but they need to tell the American Car company's (Mainly General Motors) to start building quality vehicles and I will. My van is an absolute disgrace and GM could care less.

Reply to
Edward Eusery