2000 Montana radio

My Montana the backlight on my radio display is going out is there a way to get the security code before I remove it for repairs .I tried the preset

2&3 trick but it did not work. can anyone help.
Reply to
trashfords

buy a new and better than GM stereo for little money at

I'm Right

I just went there. Where is the LITTLE money sections???

LS

What year did GM switch from needing a security code to having the VIN programmed into the radio? My 98 needs a security code but along in the

2000 MY timeframe they switch to the VIN system. If the later, removing the radio shouldn't need any special action. When re-installed, the system will sense it has the correct VIN and should work. Is there any info in the owner's manual? If you don't have an owner's manual I found a GM site
you can register yourvehicle by VIN and, amoung other things, download a manual for more recentvehicles.
Reply to
DonW