2000 Montana - Wipers Parked Upright

My newly acquired 2000 Montana has worked great till this last week.

Air Bag warning light came on and stayed on. I traced it to a poor electrical connection under the dash.

The CD player stopped working by spitting out the CD and displaying a message "Check CD". Fixed that one by removing the fuse to erase the stored message.

Now after going through the car wash and using the "Mist" option for the windshield wipers, the wipers park in the upright position. No amount of fooling around with wires, changing fuses, or lubrication has fixed this problem. For now, fixed means I have removed the fuse and hand forced the wiper motor to where the wipers are at least parked near the bottom of the windshield.

I am pretty sure I passed a Montana on the highway last week that had the wipers parked straight up. Any others have this problem and if so, did you find a cure. I am sure this must be an easy fix. Ha Ha. Yes, everything in life is easy if you know what you are doing.

Thanks for any help.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Marshall

Make sure you don't have the coolant leak problem. It is a plague with all GM minivans. Search the web for "GM 3.4L engine coolant leak" if you don't already know about this problem.

Reply to
DL

My folks' Montana has this problem. Dad doesn't care, he's been tooling around with the light on for 30,000 miles or so. Is there a specific area he should look for this loose connection?

Reply to
Rich

Rich

Try the connectors under the passenger front seat. Take them apart, clean and put back together. If that doesn't work, look for a wire harness about where your left foot would be when driving. I got up in there, made sure everything looked OK, wiggled the harness around and the light has gone out. I got these tips elsewhere on the net.

No answer to my current problem yet. Wipers still park in the upright position.

Take care.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Marshall

"Dave Marshall" wrote

There is a mechanism that sits right on top of the wiper motor on these vans that is prone to failure. It controls the parking action, and often it fails, or there is a small metal tit on the bracket that the motor is bolted to that gets bent and this also causes problems with the wiper blades parking.

You should probably take it to someone who understands this parking system and I'm sure they can fix it quickly and possibly cheaply.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai