2000 Montanna Pulsating lights

I have a 2000 Montana. I noticed when driving it in the dark last night that thelights pulsate.

Would that be a sign the alternator isnot keeping up or is it something else? My wife drives it all the time so I'm not sure how long it's been doing it.

LS

Reply to
LS

Does it do it when you have the blinkers on or when you're hitting the brakes or is it all the time?

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Does this happen a few times and go away, or does it happen for the entire time the vehicle is being driven?

Reply to
hyundaitech

It happens all the time whether the brakes are on or the blinkers are on. It happens the entire time, does not come and go.

Lannie

PS It barely noticeable, but if you pull up to a building and shine them on the wall you really see it.

Reply to
LS

Sounds like your alternator's dying.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Will you come and replace it? :) Have you seen under the hood of this thing?!!

Lannie

Reply to
LS

LOL... I had to do head gaskets on a Olds Silhouette a few weeks back. Alternator comes out easy with the intake manifold off! GW

LS wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

The last time I did one, I had to lower the right side of the engine cradle to get enough clearance to get the alternator out.

Actually, now that I think about it, there's some sort of tsb relating to U-van alternators and an on-vehicle simple repair. I don't remember what it's intended to solve, but if anyone has access to GM tsb's and can look it up, it may save you significant expense and grief.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Do you remember how long ago it was put out? I can look them up here.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

I changed the alternator in a 98 Montana by removing the upper intake manifold, coil packs and tilting the engine forward. With the upper manifold off you can also get to the thermostat, O2 sensor & rear bank of plugs easier. I'd didn't see the tsb but the service manual did say to lower the engine. Forgot, also removed one end of the arm for the wiper going to the driver's side. In any case was a lot easier than lowering the engine, just time consuming.

Reply to
DonW

I'm thinking it was two years ago or more. I know I saw it when I was working at a GM dealer between 1999 and 2003, but I don't know if it came out during that time.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Well, I looked and there are 2. One is saying to replace the entire alternator instead of repairing it. The other says "Interior and Exterior Lamps Vary in Brightness"..."Some customers may comment that the interior and/or the exterior lamps vary in intensity (flicker)."..."replace the voltage regulator attaching screw with the screw and washer from the service kit following the procedure outlined below." If anyone wants the entire thing let me know.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

I want it.

Reply to
LS

Sure, here you go:

Phillip Schmid

That looks like the TSB I remember. Does either bulletin say it supersedes the other? If not, I'd try the screw first. It's got to be less expensive and a lot less trouble.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Nope

I'd try that first too, it could just be it. The parts at a dealership should only run like $5 or so too.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid