2000 sunfire - coolant leaked and overheats ?

Threaded View

hello all.

Past few nights,  i heard like a sizzling sound coming from under the
hood when i turned the engine off and saw some steam coming from it.
Except last night, i saw some fluid dripping.  It sounded like
something was getting seared off and steam was coming from as a
result. But it only happens if I turn the engine off, while driving it
was fine.

Now when I drive, I see the low fluid level light turns on (little red
square with wavy line at the bottom) and car over heats.

Is this a common problem, with 2000 sunfire?

Also  Can I put in regular coolant into the plastic coolant tank on
the side of the engine?  Or Do I have to purchase a special coolant as
it says on the coolant tank...

thanks all in advance

sean

Re: 2000 sunfire - coolant leaked and overheats ?

"sean_incali" wrote:
 > hello all.
 >
 > Past few nights,  i heard like a sizzling sound coming from
 > under the hood when i turned the engine off and saw some steam
 > coming from it.  Except last night, i saw some fluid dripping.
 >  It sounded like something was getting seared off and steam
 > was coming from as a result. But it only happens if I turn the
 > engine off, while driving it was fine.
 >
 > Now when I drive, I see the low fluid level light turns on
 > (little red square with wavy line at the bottom) and car over
 > heats.
 >
 > Is this a common problem, with 2000 sunfire?
 >
 > Also  Can I put in regular coolant into the plastic coolant
 > tank on the side of the engine?  Or Do I have to purchase a
 > special coolant as it says on the coolant tank...
 >
 >
 > thanks all in advance
 >
 > sean

Could be a number of things leaking.Water pump,hoses etc.You may want
to have your system pressure checked by a mechanic to be sure.

And you do have to use Dex-Cool Anti-freeze (redish orange) which can
be bought at most parts stores now a days.This is due to the design of
the radiator.

Site Timeline