2000 sunfire - coolant leaked and overheats ?

hello all.

Past few nights, i heard like a sizzling sound coming from under the hood when i turned the engine off and saw some steam coming from it. Except last night, i saw some fluid dripping. It sounded like something was getting seared off and steam was coming from as a result. But it only happens if I turn the engine off, while driving it was fine.

Now when I drive, I see the low fluid level light turns on (little red square with wavy line at the bottom) and car over heats.

Is this a common problem, with 2000 sunfire?

Also Can I put in regular coolant into the plastic coolant tank on the side of the engine? Or Do I have to purchase a special coolant as it says on the coolant tank...

thanks all in advance

sean

Reply to
sean_incali

"sean_incali" wrote: > hello all. > > Past few nights, i heard like a sizzling sound coming from > under the hood when i turned the engine off and saw some steam > coming from it. Except last night, i saw some fluid dripping. > It sounded like something was getting seared off and steam > was coming from as a result. But it only happens if I turn the > engine off, while driving it was fine. > > Now when I drive, I see the low fluid level light turns on > (little red square with wavy line at the bottom) and car over > heats. > > Is this a common problem, with 2000 sunfire? > > Also Can I put in regular coolant into the plastic coolant > tank on the side of the engine? Or Do I have to purchase a > special coolant as it says on the coolant tank... > > > thanks all in advance > > sean

Could be a number of things leaking.Water pump,hoses etc.You may want to have your system pressure checked by a mechanic to be sure.

And you do have to use Dex-Cool Anti-freeze (redish orange) which can be bought at most parts stores now a days.This is due to the design of the radiator.

Reply to
Shakes73